Monday, November 3, 2008

A Dutch Uncle

Hi everyone,

I've been hitting the campaign trail and come across some concerns which I'll outline here.

I came across the term Dutch Uncle while reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch (If you haven't read it, I strongly encourage it- Thank you Kristian for my copy!)
It means someone who gives you honest feedback and it seemed like a good title for this particular post.

Since word of my nomination came about- I've recieved mixed responses. Some positive, some bad and some constructive. The constructive comments are rare. I find it beneficial to hear what you can improve on, learn and help shape the person to go on to do bigger and better things.

Here are some questions and answers I want to share with you all.

What faction is she in?
I'm not in one! I've never joined a faction. I have varying views on many issues and I don't feel it in my nature to have a set views and vote in particular ways. I have friends in the party that are from the Right, the Left and those who remain independent and I am lucky to have the support from all of those sides.


Why are you running for Council?
I have always wanted to serve my community in any capacity possible. Council is the next step in that circle. I initially wanted to run in 2005, but changed my mind and decided to go to university and broaden my mind a bit more.

What experience do you have?
I've been sitting on committees since about 14 years old in varying roles.
My most recent and biggest learning curve has been with Victoria University Council.
I've enjoyed every minute and grateful for the support and advice given to me by my fellow Councillors.


How old is she, and is she doing this for experience? or does she want to win?
I've just turned 21. But really, age is irrelevant. I don't think age should be a detrimental point whatever your age is. It's your life experiences and what you can bring to table that counts.
Whether I win or lose- everything is experience. You never stop learning.
"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."
Regardless of experience or inexperience, I believe everyone has the capacity to achieve something that they really want to. I really want the opportunity to be your councillor. Just give me the chance. :)

Cheers,


Lauren Fernando
ALP Candidate for Lightwood Ward
City of Greater Dandenong.

No comments: